Today is our final installment of Jesus’ Leadership Discourse from John 17:1-11, more particular John 17:1-3. Since eternal life centers on knowing Jesus, we want to talk about one solid way to encounter Jesus on a daily basis. The method discussed in the video is lectio divina. Lectio Divina simply means a slow, prayerful reading of Scripture.
I learned this particular method of lectio at SEEK 2019 with FOCUS staff member Tara Elpers. The steps are below.
- Pick a Scripture passage.
- Read it slowly and prayerfully once and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal a word to you.
- Rest for 30 seconds to one minute or however long you’d like. I typically rest for at least two minutes between readings if not longer.
- Read it slowly and prayerfully a second time and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal a phrase to you.
- Rest for 30 seconds to one minute or however long you’d like.
- Read it slowly and prayerfully a third time and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal how this word or phrase may apply to your life.
If a word or phrase doesn’t stick out, that’s ok. In those instances, God is inviting you to simply rest in his loving presence. If a word or phrase does stick out and is applicable to your life, the Lord is inviting you to consider why and perhaps make a commitment to living that application. Why? Because He wants to-even if the commitment is challenging-help you grow in virtue so that you can be happy.